Saturday, June 5, 2010

Getting to Know Jesus--It Takes Some Time

Readings today included: Proverbs 30 & 31, Psalm 33, Ephesians 1

Scripture Verse that caught my attention today: Ephesians 1:17 I pray that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and revelation as you come to know him,

Observation: It takes a while to get to know God.

Application: It takes a while, really, to get to know anyone, let alone the Amighty! My wife and I have been happily married for almost 23 years and sometimes I still feel like I’m just getting to know her. Of course, part of the reason it takes so much time to get to know each other is because we do not necessarily stay the same throughout our lives. We develop different interests over time, are shaped by various experiences of joy and pain, and otherwise interact with the world and the people within it.

In some ways, the same is true with God. Sure, there are Scripture verses that point out the changeless nature of God. But there are other verses within the same Bible that indicate that God’s mind has changed periodically. God is influenced by humankind. So it naturally takes a while (more than a life-time in reality) to get a better sense of who God is. The witness of Jesus, of course, is our best insight into the God we worship. In him, we are told, all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell.

Sweet and Viola’s new book: “Jesus Manifesto: It’s time to restore the Supremacy of Jesus Christ” purportedly aims to help us get a better handle on who the God of Jesus Christ really is. It’s not that Jesus Christ’s ‘supremacy’ has ever waned. It’s just that humans, including some of us who call ourselves Christians, tend to look right past it. I’ve been a Christian for almost 48 years; sometimes I still feel like I’m just getting to know Jesus.

Prayer: Lord, help me more and more to get to know you. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment