Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Search for Wise Advice.

Scripture verse: 1 Kings 12:13 The king answered the people harshly. He disregarded the advice that the older men had given him…

Observation: It’s sometimes hard to know what advice to follow.

Application: In my file is an offer to sign up for a coaching service for pastors. Basically a pastor is matched up with another experienced pastor and/or church consultant who regularly checks in with the pastor to help establish and work toward goals for the church. What’s held me back thus far is concern that many consultants focus more on human initiative and achievement rather than on the admittedly much harder and nebulous art of following the callings of God. I don’t necessarily think it’s faithful to limit measures of ‘success’ to numbers and I don’t want some ‘coach’ suggesting that I should.

But on the other hand, who of us couldn’t use someone to help us trouble-shoot, plot, and plan a little bit? Who of us couldn’t use someone to help hold us accountable to our call and such? The trick, of course, is to find the wise advisers. Almost everyone is willing to offer advice, but not all advise is, well, advisable to use. The king in the passage above found that out the hard way.

Prayer: Lord, help me to be very discerning in terms of who I listen to in regard to my call and life. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Scripture readings today included: 1 Kings 12, 2 Chronicles 10-11, and Philippians 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment