Friday, June 25, 2010

The Promise Giver

Scripture Verse that caught my attention today: 2 Timothy 1:1b for the sake of the promise of life that is in Christ Jesus,

Observation: This is one very encouraging promise.

Application: For me there are three aspects of Jesus that loom large in a good way.

The first is simply his life. Even with the somewhat divergent accounts of his life in the New Testament, there is the common recognition that he marched to the beat of his own heavenly-inspired drum. He was never afraid to both speak and life in totally authentic ways and never for the sake of appearances. And he was willing to do so even unto death.

Second is the impossible to prove, yet taken-by-faith belief that Jesus died not only as a result of upsetting the earthly powers that be, but also for the sake of the sin of the world. All that separates humanity from God was reconciled through Christ Jesus. At least that’s what I somehow am able to believe though faith.

And finally there is “the promise of life that is in Christ Jesus.” This is kind of a two-fold life. First, I can live the earthly life differently than I otherwise might due to the earthly example of Jesus. He really does show us an other way and that is part of this ‘promise of life that is in Christ Jesus.’ But of course there is also the promise of eternal life in Christ Jesus as well. It’s what many people hope for, what some people long for, and what people like myself are simply thankful for. I’m not in a hurry for it because I trust that there are blessings to be had, trials to go through, and lessons to be learned on this side of the heavenly gates. But I also trust that, when the time comes, be it sooner or later, there’s something waiting on the other side as well. Some might call it wishful thinking, delusions of grandeur or worse, but somehow I trust that the grave will not have the final say when it someday claims Kent Wilson as its temporary resident. I know, most people have trouble keeping promises. But Jesus isn’t most people.

Prayer: Lord, thank you for your promises and, just as importantly, the way you lived your earthly life that convinces me that your promises are real. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment