Monday, June 14, 2010

Who I can be thankful to God for Today.

Scripture Verses: Philippians 4:15-16 You Philippians indeed know that in the early days of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving, except you alone. 16 For even when I was in Thessalonica, you sent me help for my needs more than once.

Observation: Even the Apostle Paul had a special fondness in his heart for those who helped him when no one else would.

Application: Most, if not all, of us have been helped by someone. And it’s hard to imagine where we would be in the world if that help had not come. Recently I was reminded of a teacher who stopped by my house to see me and talk with my parents early in the summer of 1979. Now, to be honest, I’ve always been extremely blessed to have MANY people who have cared for and about me over the years. But the way this particular teacher cared was on a little different order: he talked to my parents and I about the possibility of me going to college.

My plan up until then was simply to take over the home farm. That was going to be my life. It might have been a good life in its own way. But it certainly would have been a completely different tract from the one I ended up taking. Just about every major development in my life since then, including spouse, children, people I’ve nurtured, people who’ve nurtured me, eventual enrollment in seminary, faith development and a slew of other opportunities has been as a result of one person convincing me to go to college. Frankly, I wouldn’t even be writing this note to myself and to any who read it had it not been for what happened on that 1979 summer afternoon.

Prayer: Lord, just as in the days of old, you continue to send people that offer the kind of support that makes a difference in people’s lives. In my case, thanks for Mr. Loudenslager and his life-changing little talk over 30 years ago. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Readings today included: 1 Kings 15, 2 Chronicles 13-14, and Philippians 4

No comments:

Post a Comment