Tuesday, June 1, 2010

What I appreciate but do not always enjoy!

Readings today included Proverbs 19, 20, & 21 and Romans 13

Scripture verse that caught my attention today: Proverbs 19:21 The human mind may devise many plans,
but it is the purpose of the LORD that will be established.

Observation: There is much that is beyond our control

Application: One of the things that I don’t always enjoy but do appreciate about living on the farm is the utter dependence I have on the weather. For those who make their living off the land, this dependence is magnified many times over. But even for me, with a mere five acres of hay, weather makes me or breaks me in in terms of making hay. As I look out the window I can see one lone windrow of hay that did not get made this past weekend because the combination of a mechanical breakdown and an untimely (in my view) rain that prevented me from finishing. Now I’m not going to go so far as to say that God didn’t want me to finish and therefore intentionally frustrated my plans by causing the breakdown and then sending the rain. Like most people, I can be self-centered at times, but not so much so that I assume that everything that happens in the world is God’s direct cause and affect attention to me. But I do believe that God’s hand is in the weather, even if only to design the original weather systems that then replicate themselves in varied ways over and over again. And so plan as I might, the weather reminds me that I do not have enough ‘might’ to accomplish all that I might devise. Perhaps that’s just as well…

Prayer: Lord, thanks for your continual reminders that all hope is ultimately found in you and you alone. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment