Monday, June 28, 2010

In Search of Sound Doctrine

Scripture Verses that caught my attention today: 2 Timothy 4:3-4 For the time is coming when people will not put up with sound doctrine, but having itching ears, they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own desires, 4 and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander away to myths.

Observation: But how does one know the difference between “sound doctrine” and teachers that suit our own desires?

Application: Once I felt called to be trained for ministry, I had a decision to make; “where should I go to seminary?” My family had a long history of pastors who studied at the Lutheran seminary in Columbus. But at the time my wife-to-be was an undergraduate student at a school that was led by a Televangelist. Since that school too had a seminary, and since I was always eager for another excuse to travel out to see my fiancĂ© anyhow, I checked that school out first. Later I participated in the weekend visit at the Lutheran school. I didn’t know much of anything in terms of theology in those days, and both schools seemed very nice.

Two things helped swing the balance in favor of the Lutheran school.

First, while both schools involved three years of academic study, at the Lutheran school there was also a full-year internship in a congregation working under the supervision of an experienced pastor. In contrast, the other school wanted candidates to get a certain number of hours of “experience,” but there was no established system for such experience to take place. Having gone through student teaching in the past, I could definitely see the value in the internship experience.

The second tip that leaned me toward the Lutheran school was the result of a two-minute conversation. During a social hour at the Lutheran seminary, I casually asked a professor what the difference might be between the Lutheran seminary and the other seminary. When I mentioned the other seminary’s name, the professor quickly paused, thought a moment and then in terms of explaining the difference said, “that may take a little more time.”

I didn’t know exactly what he meant by that at the time, but I did surmise that things were a little more complicated than I thought. Years later, I can definitely see the difference and why he said it would take some time to explain it.

Even now it’s hard to put it concisely. But I guess instead of seeing God as just a bigger version of myself, or as One who will protect me from all earthly harm and unfairness, or as One who wants me to achieve my own dreams devoid of what adverse affects such dreams (however well-intentioned) might have on others, I now see a God who suffered on our behalf (and at the hands of humanity), who bids us to take up our own cross and follow, who continually works with and through the misfits in life, who has a completely different measure of success than most of the world, who is faithful even when we are faithless, and One who will not let us earn our salvation in any way, shape, or form but who nevertheless gives it to us freely whether or not we respond with gracious thanksgiving. It’s not a me and God thing but a we and God thing. It’s less about keeping the rules we’ve been given and more about sharing the tools we’ve been given. It’s more about seeing Christ in the other and less about trying to parade how much Christ is in ourselves. It’s more about encouraging people to reflect Jesus and less about the ridiculous implication that they might somehow best do so by acting like me.

In a time when it’s commonplace to look for what’s most convenient for our itching ears as individuals, we are summoned to consider what will provide the most wholeness and healing for the world and all the people who share it with us. At least that’s what I think the writer of this letter was trying to say.

Prayer: Lord, at the end of the day there is you and only you through whom we can find our life and salvation. Help us to keep that in mind. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Scripture Readings today included: Amos 1, 2, 3; Psalm 80; 2 Timothy 4)

No comments:

Post a Comment