Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Today's Workout

It was another day of working out at the local park while our daughter was at swim team practice. There were a couple people in the nearby shelter house where I usually work out on such occasions, so I had to hoof it about 200 yards to the other shelter house. Ended up liking that arrangement better anyhow. Very hot and humid morning with a light breeze. Here's the workout.

First I did a thorough warm-up including:
--body-weight squats (15)
--side lunges (6/side)
--close-grip push-ups (10)
--plank (30 seconds)
--chest stretch
--high knees (10 yards, 2X)
--jogging backwards (10 yards, 2X)
--kick butts (10 yards, 2X)
--cross-overs (10 yards, 2X)
Repeat

Now for the workout:

Set #1
--Picnic Table Jumps (jumped onto the edge of heavy picnic table and back down. 10X)
--Extended Push-ups (put hands further out in front than normal. 20 reps)
--Pull-ups (over-hand grip on rafters of shelter house. 8-10 reps)
rest 1 minute. Repeat set #1

Set #2
--Prisoner Lunges (10 rep/side)
--Inverted rows (underhand grip on rafter, rested feet on another rafter. 15 reps)
--Turkish Get-ups (usually I do this with a dumbbell. None available this time, so much easier than normal. 6 reps/side)
rest 1 minute. Repeat set #2

Set #3
--Hanging Leg Raises (underhand grip on rafter. 8 reps)
--1 1/2 rep Bulgarian Split Squats (10/side)
--Ab Wheel Rollouts (actually I use an old dumbbell bar with a 5# weight in the middle. 10 reps)
rest one minute. Repeat set #3

After a 3-5 minute rest, I did the following Interval circuit 2X
--4 8-second sprints separated by 12 seconds of rest.
rest 2 minutes and then repeat Interval circuit.

Originally I meant to do 10 sprints today, but after the first four I realized that, a) I needed a rest and, b), I'd be lucky to just crank out another 4, which I did, though probably at 7/10's speed instead of level 8 or 9 (I'm too old and/or inflexible to do true full-out sprints).

Great workout. Was first time I ever tried jumping on something that high (picnic table top) and I wasn't sure I could do it. But it worked well and really got my blood pumping fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment