Friday, April 6, 2012

A Break from the Regular on this Good Friday

Today’s readings (Ruth 3-4, Psalm 64 & 65, and 2 Corinthians 6) were especially rich and wonderful…good food for the soul. I sincerely hope that you will take a few moments and read them. They are well worth your time. Nevertheless, today I’d like to reflect for a moment on Good Friday rather than the actual lessons above.

It had occurred to me not long ago (and I mentioned it in a recent sermon message) that we can only imagine what Jesus’ night in jail was like. He had to know that he was in deep trouble. Was he able to sleep? Did things get quiet? Did he toss and turn? Did he wake before they came in to get him? Did he have any kind of pillow or anything else to lay on?

These are questions of which we can only imagine the answer. And the day before was such a bitter-sweet day. He celebrated the Passover with his disciples, something Scripture records that he was eager to do. He was also betrayed. Things continued to go downhill from there. As soon as it was morning, Good Friday morning, the wheels of abuse and scorn turned again.

Personally speaking, yesterday was probably the best day I can remember in a long time. I enjoy most days of life and ministry, but yesterday was just exceptional from word go, culminating in a Maundy Thursday Seder that was just an amazing display of gracious people in action and an experience of community and worship I will treasure for a long, long time. Still, the day had a touch of bitter-sweetness as well and, for that reason, though I went to bed quite late, I awoke quite early in reflection of such things.

It certainly wasn’t all for naught. In the process of reflection the Lord was gracious enough to offer me a significant morsel of insight to share in this year’s Easter message. And some time later when I came downstairs to do my Bible reading and reflection, I was blessed to see a bright orange and full (or nearly full) moon hanging nice and low in the western sky.

It’s Good Friday. I’m looking forward to worshipping twice today. Once at noon with other Lutheran pastors in the area, and tonight with the people of Zion at our Tenebrae service which is one of my favorite services of the year. Tonight’s service will include two new video elements that I believe are sure to inspire, while still holding true to our traditional way of experiencing this service.

Be that as it may, what was it like for Jesus on this morning? If there was a moon to be seen, it’s doubtful that his accommodations offered such a view. Whatever the weather was, I wonder what the other people thought of it. Did they think it was a good day for a crucifixion? What would a good day for a crucifixion be like? Sunny and in the mid 70’s?

It’s Good Friday. It’s also a good Friday. A day to give thanks for what God has done. A day to worship. A day off for some. A day that in some ways is the same as any other day and in other ways is profoundly different. In a strange but deeply meaningful way I’m looking forward to it. And you?

Prayer: Lord, your day is our day and our day is yours. Use it as you will. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment