Monday, April 30, 2012

Making the Best of the Season

It happens.

Every so often we go through a season in life where things are not ideal and we just have to find a way to make the best of it.

For the last several weeks I have not felt like I was able (both from a standpoint of time and energy) to put my best foot forward in terms of exercise. The schedule has been extra full and, more notably, I've been low on sleep. And when I'm low on sleep I personally find it best not to go all-out in terms of exercise.

But that doesn't mean I go cold-turkey either.

Instead I find ways to a least do something.

One day I might just do a few rounds of jumping rope. It might only take me 5-10 minutes. Just enough to get the blood pumping a little.

Other times it's helpful simply to go through my standard warm-up routine. That only takes 5-6 minutes and doesn't require a lot of energy. It feels good to stretch out and, even in that process, to feel the blood pumping a little more.

This morning I did the standard warm-up routine and then simply added 6 extra moves (1 round of neutral-grip chin-ups, push-up/jack-knife combo, Dumbell squat/overhead press combo, Bulgarian Split Squats, bench presses, and ab-wheel roll-outs.)

All together it took 15 minutes.

I probably won't build muscle at that rate, but I will be able to maintain muscle mass which, as I inch closer to the half-century mark, is nothing to sneeze at.

I pray that you are finding ways to make the best of whatever season of life you are in as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment