Tuesday, April 3, 2012

A Different Kind of Confidence

Scripture Verses that Caught my attention today: 2 Corinthians 3:4-6 Such is the confidence that we have through Christ toward God. 5 Not that we are competent of ourselves to claim anything as coming from us; our competence is from God, 6 who has made us competent to be ministers of a new covenant, not of letter but of spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Observation: Paul speaks of what I might call a “quiet confidence.” It’s “quiet” because Paul realizes that it is not of his own doing. But it is confidence because he knows that the one in whom he confides is trustworthy and true.

Application: I hesitate to say this the week before Easter, but I’ve noticed a subtle change (hopefully for the better) in my preaching as of late. These days my proclamation seems to have less to do with what might be called ‘presentation’ and more to do with might be called ‘incarnation.’ I’ve found myself just drawing from a well Spiritual insights and experience that has been nurtured over the years through life, training, and these daily devotional encounters with the Scriptures. There is still plenty of preparation for messages, of course. But I’m starting to deliver them with a quiet confidence that alluded me in earlier days.

This confidence must not be confused with bravado. I am well aware of my many faults and you and I can rest assured that, should I ever forget them, there are others who can certainly help jog my memory! Rather, the confidence of which and with which I speak is more akin to an embrace of my humanity and a quiet trust in God’s ability to work through me (and through others around me), come what may.

For all practical purposes that, in a nutshell, is the message of Easter. Every time our lives demonstrate trust in God over and above our trust in ourselves, Christ rises again.

Prayer: Lord, keep rising. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Readings today included: Judges 17-18, Psalm 89, and 2 Corinthians 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment