Monday, April 30, 2012

The Line Jesus Was Not Willing to Cross

Scripture Passage that Caught my attention today: Matthew 17:17-21 Jesus answered, “You faithless and perverse generation, how much longer must I be with you? How much longer must I put up with you? Bring him here to me.” 18 And Jesus rebuked the demon, and it came out of him, and the boy was cured instantly. 19 Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, “Why could we not cast it out?” 20 He said to them, “Because of your little faith. For truly I tell you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you.”

Observation: Jesus appears to be getting a little frustrated.

Application:
We don’t normally think of Jesus as the frustrated type. We tend to envision him as always in control, always patient, loving and kind. In reality, there were clearly moments when he got more agitated. The above passage is a case in point. How stinging it must have felt to have Jesus mutter aloud “how much longer must I put up with you?”

Ouch!

I wonder how often Jesus feels the same way about us and our “little” faith.

No matter. While Jesus may have wondered “how much longer” he would need to put up with them, he did not go so far as to say “ I will no longer put up with you.” That was a line he was not willing to cross even as he eventually hung on the cross.

I suspect he feels the same way about us.

Prayer: Lord, thanks for putting up with us. Please endeavor to help us grow what little faith we have. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Readings today included: 2 Samuel 6, 1 Chronicles 13, Psalm 68, and Matthew 17)

No comments:

Post a Comment