Monday, April 9, 2012

Realities and Lessons for the Monday After Easter

Scripture verses that caught my attention today: 1 Samuel 7:7-9 AND verse 13 When the Philistines heard that the people of Israel had gathered at Mizpah, the lords of the Philistines went up against Israel. And when the people of Israel heard of it they were afraid of the Philistines. 8 The people of Israel said to Samuel, “Do not cease to cry out to the LORD our God for us, and pray that he may save us from the hand of the Philistines.” So Samuel took a sucking lamb and offered it as a whole burnt offering to the LORD; Samuel cried out to the LORD for Israel, and the LORD answered him…..13 So the Philistines were subdued and did not again enter the territory of Israel; the hand of the LORD was against the Philistines all the days of Samuel.

Observation: The Philistines were pretty much a perpetual pain in the neck for the Israelites—a consistent source of irritation and fear. Yet during the days of Samuel they were subdued.

Application:
Like Christians from all over the world, this weekend at the church through which I serve, we celebrated Easter. It was really quite a grand celebration and, all-in-all, it personally felt like a really solid set of Easter services. I’m deeply grateful for all who helped in any way and I’m also grateful to know that we had almost 130 more people worship this Easter at Zion than we’ve had for any of the past three years! That’s over a 40% increase. With the exception of maybe 10-15 people who may have attended because of a baptism, I’m at a loss to explain the rest of the increased attendance. But I am grateful. I’ll also be interested to see if any of this increased attendance carries over in succeeding weeks for the new “back to basic” series. At any rate, Holy Week and Easter were special times at Zion.

But today is Monday and Monday came early. Late last night we were on our way home from a nice day with family. It was after midnight and we were still in route. While driving I caught myself developing a little knot in my stomach as I considered a couple things that will need to be dealt with in the coming days and weeks.

Think about it. It’s been less than 24 hours since we’ve celebrated Easter and I’m already feeling more like I’m on the way to the cross than excitedly scurrying beyond the empty tomb. What’s up with that?

That’s an easy question to answer; I’m human. I’m prone to the same kinds of emotions that caused the disciples to lock themselves in a room after the resurrection for fear of the Jews. A resurrected Jesus does not remove earthly realities. We are just called to encounter them in a new light.

Back in the days of old the Israelites were constantly dealing with the Philistines and other peoples with whom for some reason they could not peacefully co-exist. The Monday after Easter encouragement for today is verse 1 Samuel 7:13; it indicates there was a reprieve from the Philistines when the Israelites were faithful—when they were able to summon up the courage to live in light of their faith.

Yesterday’s sermon for the people of Zion was taped. I think I’ll take a look at it again, this time for myself.

Prayer: Dear resurrected one. Have you not heard this song from your people a zillion times before? Have you not heard it a thousand times from me? Why is truly trusting in you so difficult? Why would any of us want to place more trust in ourselves than in you? In three short days did you not prove not only your love but also your power? Of course you did! You are helping me to see that my prime challenges will never be from without but from within. I don’t really need a reprieve from anyone else. I just need a reprieve from myself and my own propensity to so quickly dismiss all that I have seen and heard and even proclaimed about you. It’s time for me to look forward to whatever more you have in store… In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Readings today included: 1 Samuel 6-7, Psalm 72, and 2 Corinthians 9)

No comments:

Post a Comment