Wednesday, April 11, 2012

May I Have Your Attention Please!

Scripture Verses that caught my attention today: 1 Samuel 11:6-7 And the spirit of God came upon Saul in power when he heard these words, and his anger was greatly kindled. 7 He took a yoke of oxen, and cut them in pieces and sent them throughout all the territory of Israel by messengers, saying, “Whoever does not come out after Saul and Samuel, so shall it be done to his oxen!” Then the dread of the LORD fell upon the people, and they came out as one.

Observation: Saul was upset when he heard that the people were considering letting an opposing ruler take over their territory and the taking out of everyone’s right eye. Saul really knew how to get their attention and rally them for mission.

Application: The other day I saw a marketing piece that I found offensive. I almost didn’t open it and I almost dropped my subscription as well out of protest. Nevertheless, since I trusted the source of the marketing, I read on. I’m glad I did. Even though I still disagree with the particular tactic used, I was able to see their point and gain some valuable insight.

I’m thinking that Saul sending fresh oxen parts to people’s doorsteps was probably pretty offensive too. It was also effective, rallying the faithful together for the sake of their heritage.

Prayer: Lord, I don’t think it’s necessary or particularly helpful to deliberately offend people. But I can see that there are times when it’s important to capture people’s attention for the sake of the mission before us. Whenever those times come, enable me to find a faithful way to garner whatever attention is needed. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Readings today included: 1 Samuel 11-12, 1 Chronicles 1 and 2 Corinthians 11)

No comments:

Post a Comment