Thursday, April 12, 2012

Hope for When You Can't Please Em All

Scripture Passage that caught my attention today: 2 Corinthians 12:14-18 Here I am, ready to come to you this third time. And I will not be a burden, because I do not want what is yours but you; for children ought not to lay up for their parents, but parents for their children. 15 I will most gladly spend and be spent for you. If I love you more, am I to be loved less? 16 Let it be assumed that I did not burden you. Nevertheless (you say) since I was crafty, I took you in by deceit. 17 Did I take advantage of you through any of those whom I sent to you? 18 I urged Titus to go, and sent the brother with him. Titus did not take advantage of you, did he? Did we not conduct ourselves with the same spirit? Did we not take the same steps?

Observation: There was definitely a strain in Paul’s relationship with the Corinthians. It is unclear whether or not it was ever resolved.

Application: Probably one of the most frustrating aspects of leadership is facing the reality that one cannot please everybody. Years and years ago I was told point blank, “Kent, you care too much about what other people think.” It’s true. It is this caring that sometimes keeps me up at night or, as is more often the case, wakes me up far too early in the morning.

In those times there are the myriad of imaginary conversations that come to mind. There are the letters written but, thankfully, not sent. There is the preponderance of wonder at how another’s interpretation of events and/or intentions could somehow become so askew. There are the efforts to convince and cajole. When none of that works, there is the second-guessing of oneself and the related propensity for feelings (often, but not always, misplaced) of guilt. What goes around, comes around.

As I mentioned above, it’s unclear whether Paul was ever able to get thing worked out with the Corinthians. But that didn’t diminish his ability to offer an effective witness. Year’s later, his are the letters we continue to read and describe as “The Word of the Lord.” The letters to Paul from the Corinthians themselves have long since fallen by the wayside.

It’s always appropriate to care for people, but it’s not always possible and/or appropriate to please them. That can be disappointing to say the least. But it doesn’t necessarily mean that God’s work isn’t being done. That in itself is enough solace for the day.

Prayer: Lord, I give thanks that you not only work through me but that you also work in spite of me and around me and, more times than I care to admit, even without me! That’s actually a good thing…a reassuring thing. To you be all the glory. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Readings today included: 1 Samuel 13, 1 Chronicles 2-3, and 2 Corinthians 12)

No comments:

Post a Comment