Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Fear and Mere Mortals

Scripture Verse that Caught my attention today: Isaiah 51:12 I, I am he who comforts you;
why then are you afraid of a mere mortal who must die,
a human being who fades like grass?

Observation: The prophet, speaking a comforting word to exiled peoples, questions why they are so afraid of another human being.

Application: I once had a parishioner who was very upset with me for something that really had nothing to do with me. The person wouldn’t listen to any reason and simply seemed to have a desire to stay mad. I was sorry that the person was upset, of course, but I didn’t have any lasting worries. Why? Because I knew that the person had no real influence in the congregation. I was not afraid of this ‘mere mortal.’

However, what if it had been someone else? A noted congregational leader or a matriarch or patriarch of the congregation perhaps? Then, I suppose, it’s possible that I might have been worried. What then?

Then it’s time to take a deep breath and consider passages like the one above. Even purportedly powerful people are, in the greater scheme of things, mere mortals. The same is true of me. We’re ultimately on equal ground. At that point I would need to recheck my actions, motives and more to see what portion of the situation is my responsibility and focus on that. The rest I would then need to, as they say, “let go and let God.”

Such measures do not in any way, shape, or form guarantee a happy earthly ending. Being right, if such is the case, does not mean one will automatically be treated fairly. We call ourselves Christians because we believe we are claimed by God through Jesus Christ and endeavor to follow him. He was right, but still got nailed to a cross. Mere mortals are not always kind, whether they have earthly power or not.

No matter, says God through Isaiah. They’ll eventually have a taste of death themselves. And the New Testament proclaims that God will raise us all back up again.

Prayer: Lord, help us never to allow our fear of other mortals to rule the day. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Readings today included: Isaiah 50-52, Psalm 92 and 2 Peter 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment