Saturday, July 30, 2011

When it's time to start taking notes!

Scripture Verse that Caught my attention today: John 1:50 Jesus answered, “Do you believe because I told you that I saw you under the fig tree? You will see greater things than these.”

Observation: Nathaniel didn’t know the half of it! Jesus has much more in mind than a little trite fortunetelling. But this passage gives a hint into one of the challenges that Jesus would face—people would be so engrossed in the small stuff that they would often times miss the far greater point.

Application: What impresses you? What captures your rapt attention and makes you sit up and take notice?

The other day I was watching a short little fitness video that started off rather normal and then started getting really impressive. After watching the video I started reading the comments. One fella wrote that he thought the video wasn’t gonna show anything he hadn’t seen before but “when I saw that full body core move that you did at the 6:24 mark, I started taking notes!”

That was the same move that really caught my attention; I knew it was a move far beyond anything I’ve ever done. Like the fella above, my interest was piqued.

Jesus had caught Nathaniel’s attention, but this was only the start. Far greater things were on the horizon. Miracles and other earthly signs would be the small stuff. Far greater would be the Lord of all creation’s demonstration of servant-hood, faithfulness, and love. In Jesus Nathaniel would see what the Kingdom of Heaven is really like. And he would be a part of it. It was time to start taking notes!

Prayer: Lord, help us to see the signs of your kingdom in our midst. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Readings today included: Isaiah 60-62, John 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment