Wednesday, September 19, 2012

How Did Jesus Increase in Divine Favor?

Scripture Verse that caught my attention today: Luke 2:52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and in years, and in divine and human favor.

Observation: I can understand Jesus increasing in wisdom and in human favor, but how does Jesus increase in divine favor?

Application: My thoughts today on this subject are purely conjecture, an overlay of human ways of thinking upon the divine. I could be completely wrong. But what follows below is the only way that I with my feeble human mind can envision Jesus increasing in divine favor…

I think it’s somewhat like our own children. When they are born we love them even though we don’t really know them. As they grow, we grow in our love for them because we are cultivating a shared history of their development. Each milestone of accomplishment becomes yet another memory, another shared-and-often proud moment. So it’s not that we really love them more, but there is now more of them, so to speak, to love. More memories…more experiences…more of them.

So perhaps as time went on, God had more of Jesus to love. Hence he increased in divine favor.

Prayer: Lord, these are just my thoughts and, at the end of the day, they don’t even matter that much. What is more important is the fact that through Christ we are now in your favor. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Readings today included: Ezekiel 47-48 and Luke 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment