Thursday, September 6, 2012

Who is the Real MAKER?

Scripture Verses that Caught my Attention today: Ezekiel 29:2-3 Mortal, set your face against Pharaoh king of Egypt, and prophesy against him and against all Egypt; 3 speak, and say, Thus says the Lord GOD:
I am against you,
Pharaoh king of Egypt,
the great dragon sprawling
in the midst of its channels,
saying, “My Nile is my own;
I made it for myself.”

Observation: The king of Egypt had forgotten that he was just a human.

Application:
The lessons these last few days seem to revolve, in part, around a false or over-rated sense of personal accomplishment and pride. The above lesson is a case-in-point. “My Nile is my own; I made it for myself” is about as brash as one can get.

I’m 50. This morning I ran 12 18-second sprints at around ¾ speed up and down our 1/3-mile lane. Not bad for my age. I’m very grateful to still be able to do things like that. But this is still not really MY body. It’s on loan to me and, although it is currently in pretty decent shape, it only takes one fall or slip or accident or even disease to change things in a hurry. I’m reminded of author Jim Collins telling of his wife being diagnosed with cancer even when she was in the height of her physical condition.

Rivers, bodies, money, relationships…they are all ours only in the form of loan.

Thankfully, should we ever happen to forget such basic principles, the Lord will almost assuredly offer a subtle or not-so-subtle reminder.

Prayer:
Lord, help us to always see you, as an old version of the Apostles’ Creed puts it, as the “maker of heaven and earth.” In that way we can hopefully then see ourselves as simple stewards of what you have been so gracious as to provide. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

(Readings today included: Ezekiel 29-32 and Revelation 11)

No comments:

Post a Comment