Thursday, September 6, 2012

Today's Workout and Why I'm not Doing P90X

It was a beautiful morning and a "cardio-only" day for me, so I chose to do 12 18-second sprints up and down our long lane with 27 seconds rest in between. I ran the sprints at about 3/4 speed. That adds up to only a 9-minute work-out! Hard to beat that combination of efficiency and effectiveness.

By the way, I had my yearly physical (with a few "extras" since I've crossed the big Five-O) the other day and the results were really good. The lab results were excellent and the blood pressure and resting heart rate once again prompted the technician to ask me if I was a 'runner' since they were so good.

The doctor asked me the same thing and, when I said I just do my own thing, she wondered if I did P-90X.

Nope. Not gonna do it. P90X is fine for those who want or can spend an hour or so on their workouts. I won't argue that. But for the last several years I've gotten similar results from workouts that last no more than 18 minutes. And for the last few weeks I've been conducting a little personal experiment developing a possible exercise program that takes just 9 minutes a day and--get this--only about 3 1/2 actual minutes of exercise!

It sounds crazy, but from what I can tell thus far, it really works. Stay tuned...and toned!

No comments:

Post a Comment