Thursday, September 27, 2012

Once there were two people working out at the track...

After dropping our son off for show choir practice I went to the track for another 9-minute workout, this time focusing on some moves that combine aerobic training with a touch of agility. Each move was done for 18 seconds followed by 27 seconds of rest before beginning the next move.

--1/2 speed sprint
--cross-overs to the right
--cross-overs to the left
--3/4 speed sprint
--side-hops to the right
--side-hops to the left
--deep bunny-hops (like a squat-jump, only moving in a forward motion)
--side-hops to the right
--side-hops to the left
--3/4 speed sprint
--cross-overs to the right
--cross-overs to the left


Or something like that since I made this workout up on the fly.

I remember that the bunny-hops were killers. I also remember that doing cross-overs is great at the beginning of a workout, but are a bit of a risky move toward the end of the workout when fatigue begins to set in. Had to be careful not to lose my footing. But they are a great agility move and also stimulate what some people call the 'fast-twitch' muscle fibers.

By the way, while I was working out there was another person who was just running around the track. I'll give him credit for being focused, diligent about keeping up his pace, and for exercising in the first place. Still, I was finished with my workout in less than half the time and my yearly physicals give me every reason to believe that my short-but-focused workouts are every-bit as effective as regular running from a cardiovascular standpoint (my blood-pressure and resting heart rate regularly prompt medical personnel to assume I'm a "runner.") and even more so from a fitness standpoint since the wider variety of moves in my workout trump just doing the same thing over and over again for lap after lap, mile after mile.

Now, if you like that sort of thing, and I know that many of you do, than I most certainly wish you well. But for those of you who are not so fond of traditional running, or simply want some short and effective workouts to slip in between your major running days...I'm here to say that there are indeed other very viable options.

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment