Tuesday, September 18, 2012

today's workout

Went to local college/community track this morning after dropping of son at show choir practice before school. Did a lower-intensity workout and also made a strategic mistake I'll not do again!

The goal this morning was simply to run 12 18-second sprints with 27 seconds of rest in between. However, for a variety of reasons, I chose to go at about 1/2 speed rather than 3/4. Just wanted to get my body moving.

All was going well for the first 8 sprints.

Then it started to rain.

No problem. The stadium is probably 50 or so yards long, and so I just did modified sprints underneath the stadium. But on rep 10 I thought I'd do split-lung jumps instead of a sprint.

Bad idea.

Split lunge jumps combine a very deep stretch and an explosive movement. To do that kind of exercise so late in one's workout when muscle fatigue is setting in was not not a good move on my part. It doesn't hurt bad (at least not yet!), but I immediately felt as if I might have pulled a muscle or at least over-worked one.

The older we get, the more important it is to exercise with smart intensity, not reckless abandon. I should have known better. Now we all do.

Keep moving!
Kent

No comments:

Post a Comment